In just 6 months Propack has increased native woodland planted by 56% – offsetting just over 54 tonnes of Carbon Dioxide!
Woodland Carbon is the Woodland Trust’s unique scheme to help companies reduce their carbon footprint by locking up carbon emissions through planting trees, right here in the UK.
Businesses like Propack can work with them to create new native woodland and harness nature’s simple and powerful way of removing carbon dioxide from the environment.
Why is Propack offsetting carbon through tree planting?
Carbon mitigation through tree planting is a powerful way to demonstrate our business’s commitment to UK customers’ local environment. These are some of the reasons that we’re taking part in the scheme:
- Growing trees capture and store atmospheric carbon. One quarter of a living tree’s weight is carbon: this remains locked safely away until the tree is either burned or decomposes.
- New woodland creation makes new spaces for wildlife and communities, making the UK landscape more resilient to climate change impacts.
- Trees are places for recreation and education and provide homes for the UK’s biggest diversity of wildlife.
- Trees provide a range of benefits from combating flooding, shade, shelter and control of pollution.
- Woodland soils are among the most carbon-rich found. Transitioning land from agriculture or marginal use into woodland boosts carbon in the soil.
- Woodland Carbon finances woodland creation that would not otherwise have happened.
The continual release of greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere is warming up our planet, leading to more extreme weather events. These affect the seasons, wildlife and food production.
Trees are vital for life. They provide oxygen for us to breathe and homes for much-loved wildlife, from dormice to dragonflies, bees to butterflies and sadly the UK is one of the least wooded countries in Europe, with tree cover of just 13 per cent, against a European average of 37 per cent.
Trees naturally absorb harmful carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from the atmosphere, helping us to cleanse and purify the air and ultimately cool down the planet – so to us it makes perfect sense to plant more of them!
The Woodland Carbon scheme allows us to reduce our business’s carbon footprint by mitigating carbon emissions through planting more trees.
So you see, it’s a no-brainer! Why don’t you join the scheme too and help the Woodland Trust reduce damage to the natural environment into the future.